Wednesday, January 23, 2013

2013 Tinkerbell Recap

So January 20th was my first race of the year, and my 3rd half marathon since I started running. It was the 2nd annual Tinkerbell Half Marathon at Disneyland, and my second time running this race. This was my first time running as part of a team, consisting of myself and my wife Lara. This was Lara's first half marathon.

The course was different this year compared to last year. More time spent in the parks at the beginning meant that we didn't hit the streets of Anaheim for any length of time until after around mile 6 as opposed to last year when we left Downtown Disney about mile 4. This was a change I was in favor of, it helped the early miles go by quicker. One thing I wasn't in favor of however was that the latter portions of the race were a lot lighter on both crowds and on course entertainment than I recall them having been for the Tinkerbell last year or for the Disneyland Half Labor Day weekend. There was still some and I tried to go out of my way to thank them for being there as it was much appreciated, but they were fewer and further between which made those later miles seem just that little bit longer than they might have otherwise.

This distance, while nothing to scoff at, didn't really impact me that much, it was Lara who was having the experience. I regretfully admit that I was terrible at keeping on pace for her, which is why she had her pace in her ear from Runkeeper during the race, and may have caused her to go out a little faster than she might have otherwise. I also was a bit overzealous in my running and got ahead of her by a few paces more often than I care to admit. But I like to think I was there for her when she needed me throughout the day. She seemed to have a fairly easy time of it until mile 8 or 9 when things started to slow down and eventually included a little bit of walking.

When all was said and done we finished together, in true Gagnam Style, with a time of 3:12:31 upright and with a smile on our faces. (I was promised 10 minutes off my time for that dance for the record) When I finished I knew it was only another few short weeks before my marathon. When Lara finished she'd done something she didn't think she could as recently as a few days before the race. It's a good reminder to me why I run, because running, like any kind of fitness, lets you continually do the impossible. With some dedication and training you can do things you never though possible and help others do the same. You can see that pure joy in someones face as they transcend their limits and do what they thought they never could.

Sure when all is said and done there may be some soreness in the feet, knees, hips, back, whatever. What's more important though is whether you've grown as an individual for having done the experience. Pain will go away, but the knowledge you are more than you once were will stick with you. Once that pain is gone suddenly you forget your promises to never do this again and find yourself signed up for another race in a few months time. Or maybe that is just us. :)

Go out there and be the you you want to be.

No comments: