Thursday, February 16, 2012

How Waiting In Line Can Get You In Shape

So for a while now I've been tossing around this idea for a blog post, which you'll see today, and then I saw, through a link from Steve Kamb of Nerd Fitness I believe, to a post titled How Waiting In Line Can Get You In The Best Shape Of Your Life. It's not quite the post that I was intending to write but it's something useful all the same. While the linked post is about waiting in line as a metaphor for getting in shape, the various stages of being in line compared against the stages of fitness. What I have in mind is something a little more literal, getting in shape while waiting in line.

This post was originally going to be called The Disneyland Workout as that was the major inspiration for my writing it, but it applies not only to waiting in line at the parks, but also anywhere else you might find yourself waiting around wanting to fill some time. This post will be short, but hopefully at least a little inspirational and useful to at least some of you.

So you're stuck somewhere and you need something to do to feel better about yourself? You've come to a good place for advice my friends. Bodyweight exercises are a great way to work on your fitness no matter where you are, and even when I'm not stuck anywhere they are my go to resistance training exercises. So what makes them perfect for when you are stuck in line? There's no equipment, they usually don't take much space, and they are just easy to do. Heck, if you are at Disneyland or some other theme park you may have picked up your own added resistance for the exercises over the course of the day in the form of merchandise, or might be lucky enough to have a nearby child to use for even more resistance (I'd recommend restricting that to your own children or those of trusted friends as most strangers to not take well to their children being used for your workouts).

So now that we've covered the whys how about what, what should you be doing to fill all this time? Well, resist the urge to fill it with pulling out your phone and catching up on twitter or Facebook, though in some of these situations you can likely do that too, and do something active. Most of the suggestions here will be for lower body exercises as those involve the least deviation from the expectations of being in line, but if you have the room feel free to drop and do some pushups. So what shall we do then instead? Well Squats are a personal favorite, great for the legs and they involve multiple joints so they strengthen your entire lower body complex in some fashion or other. Lunges take up a bit more space but work the lower body in different ways and, as I've been finding out recently, involve a lot more work on balance than Squats. A personal favorite of mine is to take stairs nice and slow and let my ankles drop below the level of the stair to stretch out my lower leg. That particular move is one of my favorites because my running leaves my achilles tendons stiff many days, and this helps stretch them back out again.

So what about the upper body? Well your options there are more limited, unless you don't mind looking absurd to random strangers, but you're working out while waiting in line so clearly the opinions of strangers are not as important as your fitness (though shy should they be?). My go-to is dips on the turnstiles at rides like Big Thunder or Space Mountain. Simply place your hands upon turnstile and remove the legs from the ground, hold for a nice static workout, or lower and raise yourself for some more dynamic upper body work. If there's a nice bar or something overhead pull-ups are a good option as well. If you are really daring handstands and handstand presses are wonderful, but they are not so easy to do in a crowded line. There's presses involving small children or merchandise of course, though past that I'm about out of ideas. If you have more ideas put them in the comments.

So there you have it, the Disneyland Workout, or how to stay in shape absolutely anywhere.

So there's the post for you, let me know what you think of it. While I'm here though let's update my postings of my weight. This week it's at 203.3, down 2.1 from my last post. Until next time, be the you you want to be, even if it means doing something slightly embarrassing to get there.

No comments: