Friday, February 3, 2012

Race Weekend Recap

Well it's been nearly a month since my last update and it's been a pretty busy month, so my apologies for the lack of updates. Today I am bringing you an update from my recent weekend trip to Disneyland for the inaugural Tinkerbell half marathon weekend. I've got some pictures, some fun commentary, and hopefully some stuff you'll find worth reading, and if not you won't know til you did anyway so I guess I still win. So without further delay, here we go.

Got up and loaded the car at around 4am on Friday and headed right on over to California. Stopped for breakfast in Quartzite, and did our best to pretend we didn't just get fruit when we hit the border, and then headed straight for the hotel. After checking in and dropping our stuff we went to the parks. Paid the race expo a visit to pick up my bib, shirt, and some inaugural race loot (toothpick holder anyone?) and then headed to the parks. We visited Bengal Barbecue for dinner,

Lara and I at Bengal Barbecue
and then popped over to DCA for a couple rides and some ElecTRONica fun. Finally turned in around closing time and went back to the hotel for the night. All told we did about 11 miles of walking over the course of the day.
The portal opening at ElecTRONica 
 Saturday we were at the parks from around 8 to 9, hit up all the best rides and stopped by ElecTRONica again before meeting up with Amanda to get some food and go back to the hotel and crash early in preparation for the race the next morning. Best advice for food that I came away with for that day is that both the Hungry Bear restaurant in Critter Country Disneyland and the Lucky Fortune Cookery on Pacific Wharf in DCA are quite excellent. The first provided sweet potato fries which were delicious, and the second had both edamame and stir fry with a choice of sauce, we tried the spicy korean this time out but I'm likely to go or the thai curry next time we visit. Did about 13 miles Saturday, though can't be perfectly sure as the data from my Fitbit never made it online, more on that later.

The next morning started early, about 4am to be exact. Got dressed and headed out to the starting corrals.
Me in the starting corral.
As I was placed into corral E due to my lack of a qualifying time and various other factors it was 24 minutes from the starting gun before I managed to get to the starting line.

Talking heads at the start line, with Minnie and Daisy
And then the race was begun, at first with the density of the starting area I was stuck in my starting position and not able to move at anything close to a pace I was happy with, a moderate jog more than anything, but as the roads opened up a bit and people spread out enough I was able to get a bit more clear and my pace improved to something a little more comfortable. After the first couple miles we entered the park and were made to feel like beloved guests.

See the pun up there? It's only the first Disney pun in this post.

The course went through the backlot before it got into the public areas of the park around where the above shot was taken, then went around the matterhorn and past pixie hollow and through Tomorrowland past the Innoventions carrousel back to the backlot. We emerged near the gates to Main Street USA and went up toward the partners statue and the castle.


Following the leaders through the castle
From there the route went up through Fantasyland, where the Lost Boys had taken over King Arthurs Carrousel supervised by Captain Hook of all people, and then around the back of Big Thunder Mountain, perhaps the wildest curve all race. From there it was around the Rivers of America and through New Orleans Square up toward the Haunted Mansion. The cadaverous pallor of some of the runners betrayed an aura of foreboding, almost as though they were apprehensive about the rest of the race.

Only ~900 male runners this year, but there's room for 1000.
A quick jaunt through Critter Country and we paid another visit to the backlot before leaving the park for Downtown Disney and one of the first sets of spectators that weren't the very friendly Disney Cast Members. Downtown was also were I ran past the cheering Lara and Amanda who snapped this picture.
Keeping upbeat and smooth.
After passing the Disneyland Hotel and assembled Red Hatted Ladies we left the Resort property behind for the greater Anaheim area. Up from the park a few blocks to a nice spot to cross the freeway puts us at mile 6, which was when I noticed that I no longer had my Fitbit. Sadly it disappeared between the start of the race and this point. Still holding out some small hope it will get turned in but whatever, if it's gone then it's gone.


Thinking of wonderful thoughts is cheaper than Red Bull
Lots of wonderful sites in Anaheim to see, and a number of school bands and cheer squads to help us keep our spirits up. Over down by the GardenWalk and that brings us to about my next photo at Mile 11:

Just keep running, just keep running...
Crossed back across the freeway to get to the side by the park again around here and headed back toward the parks for the run through DCA. We could see the Tower of Terror a while before we actually got to the park, but the suspense finally gave out and we dropped in for the final stretches of the race.

Haven't lost a guest since last time.
We entered the park around the Tower and then headed up the Hollywood Studios lot toward the construction of Buena Vista Street.

Electrify the boys and girls
After passing through Condor Flats and around Grizzly River we hit the boardwalk briefly on our way to a Bug's Land. After that it was back into the backlots of DCA and around behind Monument Valley and Cars Land as we made our way around to the Simba Parking Lot and the finish line.

You gotta turn with the curve
I finished the race having run the whole time, excepting water stations which slowed me down even if I wasn't drinking at that one, and my splits only improved over the course of the race. My final time was 2:10:17, a time I'm rather happy with for a debut half. Next time out I'm planning to break the 2 hour mark, perhaps a little better than that if I can manage it. After a short recovery at the finish area with some much needed stretching, we went back to the hotel and I took a sorely needed shower. Went to the parks for the day and had plenty of time to ride rides, enjoy some pizza and pasta at the DCA Boardwalk, and participate in a twitter fueled scavenger hunt in the parks that was a lot of fun, though I think perhaps the race medal had started a thirst for more glittering gold.
Don't look into the eyes though, for your safety
It was a bit of a long day, I seem to recall we turned in around 9 or 10 after probably putting in 12 miles at the parks after the race, but I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. I ran my first half in a time I'm not ashamed of, and I actually ran the whole thing. Taking a bit of rest to reset things and get myself back into the right place to start up my next training cycle and see what I can do with what I've learned. And for those of you interested, yes I did the whole race in my Vibrams and all 3 days at the park as well, though Sunday post-race was done in my Classics and not my Komodo Sports as those were in dire need of a wash.

The odor from the other shoes was quite a bother
Last but not least, my weight update. At the start of the race I was at 206.6, down 3 pounds from my last post and 76 from when I started tracking my weight a little over two years back. When I finished the race I was down to 205.4 after having taken in about 82oz of water between seeing the scale, and also that little matter of running 13 miles. So there you have it, a nice race update. Look for another blog update in the next couple weeks I'm tentatively calling the Disneyland Workout. Until then, be the you you want to be.

No comments: